Registration is now open for Religious Education for the 2019-2020 school year! This year we will have online registration for all PreK-12 Religious Education Programs, including sacramental preparation. See the registration link and additional information below. Similar information can also be found in the registration packets that are available in the back of the church or may have been mailed to you. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Amy Harker, Coordinator of Religious Education (PreK-5), or Steve Davies, Coordinator of Youth Ministries (6-12). If you have difficulty with the online registration form, please contact the Parish Office.
Online registration is due by Sunday, September 1.
Start dates for 2019-2020:
- Elementary: Sunday, September 15 @ 9:00am – Emmaus Fall Frenzy
- Regular Sunday & Monday times commence September 22 & 23
- Middle School: Wednesday, September 11
- High School: Wednesday, September 18
- Elementary: Sundays, 10:15-11:30am – or – Mondays, 4:45-6:00pm
- Middle & High School: Wednesdays 7:00-8:30pm
Receiving a new sacrament is a very special and exciting event! In order to receive the full graces of the sacraments, we must have a sufficient understanding of and reverence for the great gifts we are receiving. In the past, First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion preparation were primarily completed during regular first and second grade Religious Education. It has been challenging to cover both the appropriate grade level material as well as sacramental preparation material in such limited time. Additionally, this format is not very accommodating to those who require sacramental preparation during a non-traditional year or who may not participate in the normal Religious Education program because of home schooling, attendance at a Catholic school, or other reasons. This year, First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion preparation will take place as a (roughly) once-a-month program outside of the normal Religious Education schedule. The schedule of classes is can be downloaded from the links below, and registration for sacramental preparation can be completed during the regular Religious Education registration process. Confirmation Preparation will continue to be separate from High School mentor groups as it has been in the past.
Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (CGS)
This program is for children who will be 3 or 4 years old by September 1, 2019. It is a formation program rooted in the Bible, the liturgy of the Church, and the educational principles of Maria Montessori. CGS is offered on Sundays and Mondays at the same time as K-5 Religious Education.
- 3K & 4K children participate in Catechesis of the Good Shepherd.
- Grades K-5 use the Faith and Life textbook series from Ignatius Press
- Grades 6-8 use an interactive program based on the CCC
- High School gathers weekly in mentor groups and meets monthly for Dead Theologians Society
- First Reconciliation and First Communion uses Signs of Grace published by the Augustine Institute
- Confirmation uses Decision Point, Altaration, Chosen, & several other primary sources
In an effort to be more transparent and flexible regarding enrollment fees, we are offering a new payment model for Religious Education. We hope the new model will ensure that all families feel welcome in the program, as finances should never be a barrier to children learning the faith. However, we all know that nothing is free. The parish contributes substantial resources towards the Religious Education program, and your financial support ensures we can continue to offer top notch Religious Education to all parish families.
In previous years, there was an enrollment fee of $110/child with a $250 family maximum and additional sacramental preparation fees. This year, rather than having a set rate, we ask that families prayerfully discern how much they can contribute towards covering the costs of their student(s) in the program. Below you will find a breakdown of the estimated costs, which may be a useful guide for your discernment. Families experiencing financial difficulty or with many children in the program may elect to only cover a portion of the cost for their student(s) based on the amount they are able to contribute at this time. Families that have been financially blessed this year are invited to consider contributing an additional amount to help cover the cost of others in the program and support our parish family. As in previous years, parents may donate their time as catechists in place of any financial contribution. Contributions can be placed in a labeled envelope and dropped in the Sunday collection basket or turned in to Amy Harker or Steve Davies at any Religious Education function.
Approximate Cost of one Student in Religious Education
- Classroom Materials and Books – $40
- Staff and Volunteers – $25
- Emmaus Days and Events – $20
- Sacramental Preparation – $40
- Total cost of one child (non-sacramental year) – $85
- Total cost of one child (sacramental year) – $125